You are here
Samoussas with 1001 nights chutney
For twenty samoussas:
- 400g grounded poultry or lamb
- 1 jar Didden 1001 nights chutney (220 g)
- 1 red onion (if possible)
- 1 carrot
- 30g dried apricots
- 30g pine nuts
- 20 cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp curcuma powder
- 1 tsp yellow curry
- 50g bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 10 round or square sheets brick pastry
If one or the other ingredient is missing (herbs, spices, apricot or onion), don’t worry. The dish will still be delicious.
- Heat a frying pan over high heat and roast the pine nuts (without adding fats). Stir constantly until the nuts have a lovely golden colour. Put them aside.
- Add some olive oil to the same frying pan and fry the chopped onion.
- Mix the following in a plate:
- The raw grounded meat
- The grated carrot
- A ½ jar of 1001 nights chutney
- The dried apricots, cut into small pieces
- The pine nuts
- The tsp of curcuma
- The tsp of yellow curry
- The tbsp of freshly grated ginger
- The 50 g of breadcrumbs
- The chopped cilantro leaves
- The fried and slightly cooled onion
- Fry everything and stir from time to time so it doesn’t clump together. Fry for about 10 minutes until the meat is ready.
- Turn off the heat. Add 1 egg and the white of the second egg to bind everything together. Set the egg yolk of the second egg aside. Mix everything.
- Cut the sheets of brick pastry in two. Fold them in order to obtain a long rectangle.
- Put a spoon of the filling on the inside border. Fold over and over again in the shape of a triangle until you arrive at the end.
- Finish by refolding the remaining bit of pastry into the triangle. Close it with a bit of egg yolk. (You will see an explanation on how to do this on the pastry packaging or you can find it on the Internet).
- Put the samoussas on a plate. You can prepare them in advance and bake them later.
- Before frying the samoussas, brush them with some egg yolk. This will give them a beautiful colour when they are ready.
- Bake for 20 min in a pre-heated oven at 180°.
- Serve as soon as they get out of the oven on a bed of salad or radicchio.
Enjoy your meal!