For 4-6 persons:
- 1 small capon
- 3 tablespoons Didden fig confit
- 3 slices of sandwich bread
- 100 – 150 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 200 g vacuum-packed chestnuts (1/2 jar of vacuum-packed chestnuts)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp Cognac
- 1 pinch Espelette pepper
- 400 g whole cooked foie gras
- 20 cl cream
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 slices of gingerbread
- 1 kg floury potatoes
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 180°.
- Start with the preparation of the capon.
- Cut the sandwich bread into large pieces and add them to a bowl.
- Cover them with milk and let the bread soak while you’re preparing the other ingredients.
- Put the chestnuts, the washed, dried and trimmed parsley, the peeled garlic and the well-wrung bread in a mixer.
- Give the mixer a short whirl. Add the egg, the mascarpone, and the cognac and mix.
- Add the confit.
- Put the capon on a plate.
- Stuff it with the freshly made stuffing.
- Season the capon with salt and pepper, sprinkle with a bit of Espelette pepper and leave it in the oven for almost 3 hours.
- Regularly baste with the juices throughout the cooking time.
- Then, it is time to prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Peel the potatoes and cook them or steam them.
- Once they are done, mash them and add a little bit of milk, butter, nutmeg, and salt. If you want the potatoes to be very smooth, don’t hesitate to use the hand blender.
- Immediately before taking the capon out of the oven, crumble the gingerbread on a baking plate with baking paper and put it in the oven that is cooling down.
- Leave it there for about ten minutes, and check regularly: the crumbs must be golden brown, not burnt.
- Cut the foie gras into pieces and melt it in a pan. In the meantime, mix the cornstarch with the cream using a fork.
- When the fois gras is melted, add the cream and stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce thickens.
- Sieve the sauce and mix it firmly to remove all pieces of foie gras that haven’t melted.
- Put it back over heat. Remove the upper layer of melted grease with a spoon.
- Mix and add some milk to obtain the desired texture.
Enjoy your meal!